Need the perfect, ready-to-go halves and thirds basic fractions activities? Grab these 1/2s and 1/3s fractions activities for your 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade students, including: halves and thirds basic fractions lesson plan, warm up, turn & talk, instructional video, anchor charts, learning target, and practice worksheet.
This includes ONE geometry activity that is a part of a bigger Geometry Math Unit Bundle!
Halves and Thirds Basic Fractions Skills Covered:
- Students look at shapes that are divided into equal halves and thirds and record what fraction of the shape is shaded
- Students look at a fraction, divide a shape into halves or thirds and shade in the appropriate amount of parts
- Printable (color & black and white)
- Google Slides
- TpT Easel
What’s Inside the Halves and Thirds Basic Fractions Activities
- Lesson Plan
- Learning Target
- Anchor Chart
- Instructional Video (covers the anchor charts, warm up and turn and talk)
- Warm Up Activity
- Turn & Talk Activity
- 1 Worksheet
- Answer Key
- Link to Google Slides
How Long Will the Halves and Thirds Basic Fractions Activities Take?
These halves and thirds basic fractions activities for geometry are designed to fill one lesson period. They will take anywhere from 25-90 minutes.
What standards are covered in the Halves and Thirds Basic Fractions Activities?
- 2.G.A.3: Partition circles and rectangles into two, three, or four equal shares, describe the shares using the words halves, thirds, half of, a third of, etc., and describe the whole as two halves, three thirds, four fourths. Recognize that equal shares of identical wholes need not have the same shape.
When to Use the Geometry Activities:
- Math Block – Whole Group or Small Group
- Homeschool Environment
- Guest Teachers
- Substitute Teachers
- Student Teachers
- Special Education Environments
Need more geometry lessons?
This lesson is part of a bigger unit – Geometry Math Unit – which includes 15 days worth of lessons, assessments and more.
Get your plan time back and grab an entire year of math lessons!