Need the perfect, ready-to-go estimation and measurement in inches activities? Grab these estimation and measurement activities for your 1st or 2nd grade students, including: an estimation and measurement lesson plan, warm up, turn & talk, instructional video, anchor charts, learning target, and practice worksheet.
This includes ONE measurement activity that is a part of a bigger Measurement Math Unit Bundle!
Estimation and Measurement Skills Covered:
- Students will practice estimating the length of certain objects in inches. They will then use a ruler to measure the objects and check their estimations.
- Printable (color & black and white)
- Google Slides
- TpT Easel
What’s Inside the Types of Measurement Tools Activities
- Lesson Plan
- Learning Target
- Anchor Chart
- Instructional Video (covers the anchor charts, warm up and turn and talk)
- Warm Up Activity
- Turn & Talk Activity
- 2 Double Sided Worksheets
- Answer Key
- Link to Google Slides
How Long Will the Estimation and Measurement Activities Take?
These estimating and measuring in inches activities are designed to fill one lesson period. They will take anywhere from 25-90 minutes.
What standards are covered in the Estimating and Measuring Inches Activities?
- 1.MD.A.2 Express the length of an object as a whole number of length units, by laying multiple copies of a shorter object (the length unit) end to end; understand that the length measurement of an object is the number of same-size length units that span it with no gaps or overlaps. Limit to contexts where the object being measured is spanned by a whole number of length units with no gaps or overlaps.
- 2.MD.A.1: Measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools such as rulers, yardsticks, meter sticks, and measuring tapes.
- 2.MD.A.3: Estimate lengths using units of inches, feet, centimeters, and meters.
When to Use the Types of Measurement Tools Activities:
- Math Block – Whole Group or Small Group
- Homeschool Environment
- Guest Teachers
- Substitute Teachers
- Student Teachers
- Special Education Environments
Need more measurement lessons?
Get your plan time back and grab an entire year of math lessons!