Looking for the BEST addition and subtraction within 20 1st grade worksheets? These adding and subtracting up to 20 activities cover using pictures and objects to add and subtract, adding and subtracting on a number line, counting on to add, counting back to subtract, making 10 to add and subtract, using doubles to add and subtract, fact families, related addition and subtraction problems, number bonds, true and false, and SO MUCH MORE! This 6 week adding and subtracting up to 20 unit is filled with no prep worksheets, posters, assessments and hands-on activities.
This Addition and Subtraction Within 20 Worksheets AND FULL UNIT Includes:
- 30 Days of 1st Grade Worksheets and Activities for Adding and Subtracting up to 20
- 3 Addition and Subtraction within 20 Quizzes
- Pre/Post Test for 1st Grade Adding and Subtracting up to 20
- 30 Day Teaching Guide for 1st Grade Math Unit
- Addition and Subtraction Strategies Anchor Charts (adding with objects/pictures, subtracting with objects/pictures, adding on a number line, subtracting on a number line, counting on to add, counting back to subtract, making 10 to add, making 10 to subtract, doubles rap, fact families/number bonds/part part whole model for related problems, equal sign, true and false equations)
- Answer Keys
- Link to 55 1st Grade Math Worksheets & Assessments for Adding and Subtracting up to 20
- 55 Page Addition and Subtraction within 20 Activities on Easel
Standards Covered in 1st Grade Addition and Subtraction within 20 Unit
- 1.OA.C.5 Relate counting to addition and subtraction (e.g., by counting on 2 to add 2).
- 1.OA.C.6 Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10. Use strategies such as counting on; making ten (e.g., 8 + 6 = 8 + 2 + 4 = 10 + 4 = 14); decomposing a number leading to a ten (e.g., 13 – 4 = 13 – 3 – 1 = 10 – 1 = 9); using the relationship between addition and subtraction (e.g., knowing that 8 + 4 = 12, one knows 12 – 8 = 4); and creating equivalent but easier or known sums (e.g., adding 6 + 7 by creating the known equivalent 6 + 6 + 1 = 12 + 1 = 13).
- 1.OA.B.4 Understand subtraction as an unknown-addend problem. For example, subtract 10 – 8 by finding the number that makes 10 when added to 8.
- 1.0A.B.3 Apply properties of operations as strategies to add and subtract.3 Examples: If 8 + 3 = 11 is known, then 3 + 8 = 11 is also known. (Commutative property of addition.) To add 2 + 6 + 4, the second two numbers can be added to make a ten, so 2 + 6 + 4 = 2 + 10 = 12. (Associative property of addition.)
- 1.OA.D.8 Determine the unknown whole number in an addition or subtraction equation relating three whole numbers. For example, determine the unknown number that makes the equation true in each of the equations 8 + ? = 11, 5 = � – 3, 6 + 6 = �.
- 1.OA.D.7 Understand the meaning of the equal sign, and determine if equations involving addition and subtraction are true or false. For example, which of the following equations are true and which are false? 6 = 6, 7 = 8 – 1, 5 + 2 = 2 + 5, 4 + 1 = 5 + 2.
These adding and subtracting up to 20 activities were designed for 1st grade students. They can be differentiated to be used with both kindergarten and 2nd graders.
1st Grade Addition and Subtraction within 20 Unit – Lesson Topics:
- counting objects to add or subtract
- drawing pictures to add or subtract
- counting on to add
- count back to subtract
- number line to add
- number line to subtract
- making 10 to add
- making 10 to subtract
- doubles + 1
- adding or subtracting 0
- related problems to add (commutative property of addition)
- related problems to subtract
- fact families to add and subtract
- number bonds to add and subtract
- unknown addends in all positions for addition and subtraction
- meaning of the equal sign (in all positions)
- true or false addition and subtraction equations
Grab a Whole Year of 1st Grade Math Worksheets – Or Other Units Included:
- 1st Grade Worksheets YEAR BUNDLE
- Place Value Worksheets for 1st Grade
- Adding and Subtracting to 20 Worksheets for 1st Grade
- Word Problems Worksheets for 1st Grade
- Data and Graphing Worksheets for 1st Grade
- Adding and Subtracting to 100 Worksheets for 1st Grade
- Measurement Worksheets for 1st Grade
- Geometry Worksheets for 1st Grade
- Telling Time Worksheets for 1st Grade