Are you looking for the best place value lessons and activities for your 2nd grade students? Place value sets the stage for learning the rest of the year, so it is important that students get quality instruction right from the start!
Place Value Lessons and Unit Plan
If your math curriculum is lacking a good place value unit, the Let’s Do Math: Place Value activities will be perfect for you and your students.
This 3 week place value unit covers everything you need:
- Counting and Drawing Base Ten (CCSS NBT A.1)
- Understanding the Value of a Digit (CCSS NBT A.1)
- Expanded Form (CCSS NBT A.3)
- Skip Counting (1s, 5s, 10s, 100s) (CCSS NBT A.2)
- Comparing 3 Digit Numbers (CCSS NBT A.4)
- Odd and Even Numbers (CCSS OA C.4)
Let’s Do Math: Place Value all encompassing curriculum includes daily mini lessons, warm ups, turn and talks, activities, weekly assessments and a unit assessment. This is EVERYTHING you need to teach place value and more.
Place Value Worksheet and Assessment Pack
Does your school already have a curriculum.. that is a little boring and a lot of the same boring looking worksheets?
Add some life to your place value lessons with some extra practice pages and assessments to with the Place Value Worksheet Pack!
There are 13 sequential worksheets included, as well as homework, a pre test and a post test.
Place Value Centers
Students LOVE hands on ways to learn. One of the best ways to do that is by having hands on centers for students to manipulate.
These 5 space themed place value centers are the perfect place value activities for your 2nd graders. The centers included are:
- Who Has More – This is a partner game. Make one stack of all the spaceships and one of all the astronauts to begin. Flip one card over at a time, whoever’s card has the most value wins and puts the extra cards in the bottom of their pile. The game keeps going until someone runs out of cards
- Alien vs. Astronaut – Help the alien find their astronaut friend! Be sure to record your answer, the picture and try writing the expanded form as well.
- Find the Spaceship – Help the aliens find their spaceships! Match the correct alien with his spaceship then record your answer, then confirm with a picture!
- Land the Spaceship – Help the spaceship land on the right planet! Match the spaceship to the correct written form, then record your answers and draw a picture to go with!
- Picture Place Value – Use place value blocks to build each number, then record the answer with a picture on the recording sheet!
These games are sure to be a HIT with your 2nd grade students – be sure to grab all 5 in a bundle here!
Digital Activities for Your Place Value Lessons
Boom Cards are a GREAT self-checking and no prep digital way for students to review your place value lessons independently or in a group. If you aren’t up for trying something new, tried and true Google Slides games are also a great option. The only downside is that you will have to manually grade them.
There are so many favorite digital activities for teaching place value that can be used ALL year long.
- Understanding 3 Digit Numbers (Grab on BOOM or Google Slides TM)
- Counting Base Ten Blocks to 1000 (Grab on BOOM or Google Slides TM)
- Value of 3 Digit Numbers (Grab on BOOM or Google Slides TM)
- Skip Counting by 1 (Grab on BOOM or Google Slides TM)
- Skip Counting by 5 (Grab on BOOM or Google Slides TM)
- Skip Counting by 10 (Grab on BOOM or Google Slides TM)
- Skip Counting by 100 (Grab on BOOM or Google Slides TM)
- Expanded Form (Grab on BOOM or Google Slides TM)
- Reading Numbers to 1000 (Grab on BOOM or Google Slides TM)
- Comparing 3 Digit Numbers (Grab on BOOM or Google Slides TM)
Other Place Value Ideas:
Still looking for help on HOW to teach place value? Be sure to check out Everything You Need to Know to Teach Place Value to help you get started!