Need the perfect, ready-to-go 3 digit subtraction with regrouping using the box it method activities? Grab these 3 digit subtraction activities for 2nd, 3rd or 4th grade students, including: subtracting from groups of 100 lesson plan, warm up, turn & talk, instructional video, anchor charts, learning target, and practice worksheet.
This includes ONE addition and subtraction activity that is a part of a bigger Adding and Subtracting to 1000 Unit Bundle!
3 Digit Subtraction using the Box It Method: Skills Covered:
- Students will look at 2 digit subtraction problems with regrouping and solve them using the standard algorithm
- Students will look at 3 digit subtraction problems with regrouping and solve them using the standard algorithm
- Students will practice a strategy for HOW to subtract when a number ends in 00 or 000 (The Box It Strategy)
- Students will practice writing about math by using the words first, then, next and last to describe how they solve these problems
- Printable (color & black and white)
- Google Slides
- TpT Easel
What’s Inside the 3 Digit Addition and Subtraction Activities:
- Lesson Plan
- Learning Target
- Anchor Chart
- Instructional Video (covers the anchor charts, warm up and turn and talk)
- Warm Up Activity
- Turn & Talk Activity
- Double Sided Worksheet
- Answer Key
- Link to Google Slides
How Long Will the 3 Digit Subtraction Activities Take?
These 3 digit subtraction using the box it method activities are designed to fill one lesson period. They will take anywhere from 25-90 minutes.
What standards are covered in the 3 Digit Addition and Subtraction Activities?
- 2.NBT.B.5: Fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 2.NBT.B.9: Explain why addition and subtraction strategies work, using place value and the properties of operations.
- 3.NBT.A.2: Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 4.NBT.B.4: Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
Please note, these were designed for grade students, but can be used with more advanced 1st grade students.
When to Use the 3 Digit Adding and Subtracting Activities:
- Math Block – Whole Group or Small Group
- Homeschool Environment
- Guest Teachers
- Substitute Teachers
- Student Teachers
- Special Education Environments
Need more addition and subtraction to 1000 lessons?
This lesson is part of a bigger unit – Adding and Subtracting to 1000 Unit Bundle – which includes 30 days worth of lessons, assessments and more.
Get your plan time back and grab an entire year of math lessons!