Are you looking for the best monthly and holiday themed read aloud activities and read aloud crafts FOR THE YEAR? These 40 holiday read aloud companions make the EASIEST low-prep reading centers for any 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade classroom. Each read aloud includes activities, crafts, reading responses, writing prompts and worksheets that will make reading centers fun and easy!
Please note, this is a GROWING BUNDLE. This means read aloud activities will be added as they are completed. This growing bundle will be You can re-download each week to grab a different themed set of books.
EACH READ ALOUD COMPANION WILL INCLUDE:
There are 7 Read Aloud reading response activities:
- Making Predictions
- Answering Questions
- Story Elements (Character, Setting, Problem, Solution)
- Making Connections (text to text, text to self, text to world)
- Character Changes
- Favorite Part
As well as 2 read aloud activity crafts:
- Story Element Flip Book with Craft
- First, Then, Next, Last Flip Book with Craft
There are 4 writing prompts and crafts for each read aloud:
- Narrative Writing Prompt in Primary and Intermediate with Craft
- Informative Writing Prompt in Primary and Intermediate with Craft
- Opinion Writing Prompt in Primary and Intermediate with Craft
- How To Writing Prompt in Primary and Intermediate with Craft
There are also 5 fun word work and writing activities for EACH read aloud included:
- Unscramble Words
- Word Search
- Decoding Words
- Make a Word
- Directed Draw & Write
Answer keys are included for most pages. Pages in which many answers could apply do not have answer keys.
Each reading and writing page is differentiated to include:
- Traceable sentence stems
- Fill in the blank sentence stems
- Long answer blank replies
These read aloud activities are differentiated to work with kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade and 3rd grade students.
Monthly Bulletin Board Ideas:
Both the writing and reading crafts make great monthly bulletin boards. Pin their final crafts to your monthly bulletin boards and change your reading bulletin boards each week! Easy and cute monthly bulletin boards for the year!
Each read aloud pack will follow the same format. This makes these read aloud activities the PERFECT centers, as you can read aloud the book on Monday, then put the activities into independent centers for the rest of the week. The different hands on activities and crafts will have your students begging for more!
When to use the Year Long Read Aloud Activities:
These read aloud activities are PERFECT for whole group reading, reading centers, holidays, substitutes, student teachers, parent read alouds, morning work, independent work, small group reading and more.
Timeline for Year Long Read Aloud Activities:
Stretch each read aloud out for a week, or use all of the activities to fill a slow morning. With so many options and differentiated versions, the possibilities are endless.
Who are the Read Aloud Companions For?
All read aloud activities are differentiated for K-3, but are best suited for 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade centers and can be used with assistance for high kindergarten students.
Year Bundle Themes & Read Alouds Included:
- August Read Alouds – The Pigeon HAS To Go To School, Wordy Birdy, The Most Magnificent Thing – Coming July 7
- September Read Alouds – Scaredy Squirrel, The Leaf Thief, Fletcher and the Falling Leaves – Coming July 21
- October Read Alouds – Gustavo the Shy Ghost, Hallo-Weiner or Bonapart Falls Apart, Stumpkin – Coming August 4
- November Read Alouds – Turkey Goes To School, A Plump and Perky Turkey, Thanks for Nothing (Bruce) – Coming August 18
- December Read Alouds – Gingerbread Man Loose at Christmas, Santa Bruce, Olive the Other Reindeer OR The Littlest Elf – Coming Sept 1
- January Read Alouds – Out Cold (Bruce), Tacky the Penguin, Don’t Wake the Yeti – Coming Sept 15
- February Read Alouds – Love Monster, A Crankenstein Valentine, Love Monster and the Last Chocolate – Coming Sept 29
- March Read Alouds – Rosie Revere Engineer, Ada Twist Scientist, Sofia Valdez, Future Prez – Coming Oct 6
- April Read Alouds – Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms, Don’t Touch That Flower, Spring Stinks! – Coming Oct 20
- May Read Alouds – Fletcher and the Summer Shadow, The Night Before Summer Vacation, Bruce’s Big Storm – Coming Nov 6
- TEN Extra Bonus Holidays – Will include read alouds for holidays such as New Years, MLK Day, Groundhog Day, Presidents’ Day, Earth Day, Birthdays, Mother’s Day, Easter, Fourth of July, Election Day – Coming Nov 6
Please note, these are the intended books, but are subject to change if needed.
Please ask all questions before purchasing. Are you looking for a different book? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to put in a request!