Teaching students to comprehend and write using different elements of poetry and figurative language has never been easier. Students will practice both reading and writing poems through the use of these helpful types of poems and figurative language anchor charts, posters and templates. This one month poetry unit covers ALL of your poetry teaching needs.
Elements of Poetry – Poems Covered:
- ABC Poem
- Acrostic Poem
- Autobiographical Poem
- Ballad Poem
- Chant Poem
- Cinquain Poem
- Color Poem
- Diamante Poem
- Haiku Poem
- Limerick Poem
- Lune Poem
- Ode Poem
- Shape Poem
- Tanka Poem
Figurative Language Covered:
Elements of Poetry Vocabulary Words Included:
- Point of View
Check out the first sample lesson on ABC poems for free.
Each element of poetry or figurative language lesson includes:
- An anchor chart explaining the poetry element
- 2 poetry templates to write your own poems
- A poem fluency, poetry comprehension and imagery practice page
- A blank page for students’ poetry books
This 180+ Document Includes:
- A 2 Page Teaching/Pacing Guide
- 22 Anchor Charts (full color and black and white)
- 22 Writing Templates (full color and black and white)
- 24 Page Poetry Writing Book (full color and black and white)
- Poetry Book Writing Rubric
- 22 Reading Comprehension pages (full color and black and white)
- 4 Pages of Vocabulary Practice (3 words per page) The vocabulary word cards each have the word, a definition and an example. These can be used as needed to teach students the vocabulary. They are not explicitly taught in the mini-lessons, as every class will need a different amount of time spent covering the words and a different approach to these words.
Do you want instructional videos to teach each poetry elements and figurative language for you? to get:
- Please open the preview file and ask any questions before purchasing.
- DIGITAL Poetry Book for Students to Edit
- Teacher Poetry Book Example
This unit was designed for first, second or third graders, but can be adapted for any elementary grade.
Looking for Other Reading Units?
Check out a YEAR of Let’s Get Reading Curriculum.
You can also connect with me for first access to my resources, giveaways and FREEBIES via: Email | Website | Instagram | Facebook | Teachers Pay Teachers
Enjoy! Don’t forget to leave feedback on all paid purchases for future credit toward free resources.
There are no reviews yet.