Jump start your year building character with these fun back to school character education and get to know you activities. This 12 lesson building character unit helps build classroom community, boosts student confidence and sets ground rules for your classroom. This back to school get to know you unit goes along with 12 great back to school book favorites, but could also be used without the books.
Character Building Back to School Activities:
- I Wish My Teacher Knew… (craft)
- My Mouth is a Volcano (class bulletin board or individual craft)
- Monster Manners (sort positive and negative choices at school)
- Classroom Pledge (letter writing activity)
- Recess Kings/Queens (crown craft, review recess manners)
- Kissing Hand Craft (talk about showing love/respect)
- 10 Ways to Make Friends at Recess (partner/group poster activity)
- Bucket Fillers Craft (talk about kindness)
- The Dot Art Project (talk about individuality)
- All About Me Worksheet (talk about personality on inside and character traits on the outside that make students unique)
- My Talent Will Blow You Away (Craft or Worksheet – 2 options to highlight student talents)
- The Giving Tree Craft (talk about sharing)
Also includes a 12 day lesson planner.
Suggested Back to School Books for Building Character Activities:
- My Teacher and Me (Al Yankovich)
- My Mouth is a Volcano
- He’s Been a Monster All Day
- The Day the Crayons Quit
- The Recess Queen
- The Kissing Hand
- Billy Bully
- How Full is Your Bucket?
- The Dot
- Ruby the Copycat
- Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon
- The Giving Tree
When to Use these Character Education Activities:
These character education activities are PERFECT all year round. Many teachers use them as get to know you activities at back to school, but they work for a reset after a long break as well, or ANY time that feels appropriate to you!
These get to know you activities help with building character and setting expectations for your students during the back to school season all at once. Enjoy!
Looking for Other Science and Social Studies Projects?
- Biography Project
- Life Science Unit: Plants, Animals and Habitats
- Solar System Project
- Earth Day Writing
- Animal Habitat Research Project
Enjoy! Don’t forget to leave feedback on all paid purchases for future credit toward free resources.